The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation was established under Act-VI of Provincial Assembly Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on 13th December 1995 and started its function in January 1996. It is a corporate/autonomous body and its main function is to actively assist and promote the private sector and to support Public Sector for better health care. This is a significant initiative of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Government to encourage and provide financial assistance to the private sector in the field of health care.
KHYBER PAKHTUNKHWA HEALTH FOUNDATION
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation Background
The NWFP Health Foundation was established under Act-VI of Provincial Assembly NWFP on 13 the December 1995 and started its function in January 1996. It is a corporate/autonomous body and its main function is to actively assist and promote the private sector and to support Public Sector for better health care. This was a
significant initiative of the NWFP Government to encourage and provide financial assistance to the private sector in the field of health care. In light of 18th amendment name of the province was changed with immediate effect in April 2010, to be renamed as Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Health Foundation subsequently implemented the decision and also started functioning as Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation to keep up with the mission of the Government.
Aims and objectives:
• To establish Health institutions to meet the needs of basic health services approved by the Board and any other committee constituted for the purpose.
• To give loans and grants to private organizations and individuals, on such terms and conditions as may be approved by the Board, for establishing or taking over operation of basic health units and other rural and urban health facilities as Government may, from time to time, specify.
• To take appropriate measures for integration, co-ordination, consolidation and monitoring of privately managed health institutions assisted by the foundation so to ensure the quality and standard of healthy services in private sector.
• To take measures to promote, develop and finance health institutions in health deficient areas. Priority is given to diagnostic and clinical facilities in primary and secondary health facilities and to mother and child health care units.
• To perform such other functions as may be assigned to it by the Government.
• To approach national and international agencies for loans, grants and project assistance in promoting/financing health facilities to the people.
The administration and management of the Foundation and its affairs vests to the Board of Directors headed by the Chief Minister, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Minister for Health Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is the Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors includes Official/Non-Official members and eminent people from the field of health and public sector. The Management Director is the Chief Executive of the Foundation and Secretary of Board of Directors.
Role of Board of Directors
The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation has its Board of Director which is responsible for the following:
• The 'BOD' shall be responsible for policy formulation, planning supervision monitoring and management of the foundation.
• The 'BOD' shall approve Annual Budgets, Financial plans and other administrative and technical proposals of the Foundation
• Approval of terms and conditions of investment of the Foundation funds with banks or other agencies as the case may be.
• Approval of investment of Foundation funds in income generating schemes.
• The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation will refer all new schemes to the "BOD" to get consent and then launch such schemes for planning implementation.
The composition of the Advisory Committee is as under;
• Managing Director, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation Chairman
• A representative of the P& D Department Member Not below the rank of Deputy Secretary
• A representative of the Finance Department Member Not below the rank of Deputy Secretary
• A Charted Accountant/Banker nominated Member by the Chairman of the Board
• A Senior Health Professional to be nominated Member by the Chairman of the Board.
• The President Sarhad Chamber of Commerce Member & Industries or his representative.
• Director, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation. Member-cum-Secretary
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation has been working in different fields of the health sector especially for the welfare of Medical students of our Province i.e. awarding.
scholarships to the Medical students on merit/poverty basis, arranging Continuous Medical Education (CME) Program for the upcoming doctors.
1. BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING: A meeting of Board of Directors was held in Chief Minister House under the Chairmanship of Honorable Chief Minister on 6the April,2010.This was the 13th
Board of Directors meeting and land mark decisions were made in that meeting. The poverty Scholarship was enhanced from Rs. 1000/- to Rs. 3000/- per month and it was also decided to continue with the initiative of distribution of Gold Medals for distinction holders.
Similarly, another major decision was made whereas, it was decided to lift moratorium on loan advancement and to make the interest of the loan realistic.
Similarly, easy loaning procedure should be recommended by a committee under the Chairmanship of Managing Director, so as to attract young doctors for establishing their own setup.
2. Continuous Medical Education Program (CME)
Following Continuous Medical Education (CME) Program were arranged by the Health Foundation for the training of doctors:
a. Lecture on Epidemiology.
b. Lecture on Research Methodology.
c. Lecture on Public Health Accounts.
d. Lecture on Reproductive Health.
e. Lecture on Communicable Diseases.
f. Lecture on Screening, Interventional and Non-Interventional Studies.
g. Seminar on Dengue fever and its prevention
h. Seminar on Child Abuse.
3. Free Medical Camps
Health Foundation arranged free medical camps at Sulaiman Talab area in Kohat on 03.05.2009 and follow up camp at the same area on 20.08.2009 thousands of patients were examined by the doctors and medicines were distributed.
A free medical camp was held for orphans in Al-Madina Public School G.T Road near Nowshera on 28.04.2011. More than 300 students were examined and provided with free medicines.
A Free Medical Camp was carried out at village Mangal Abbottabad on 14.05.2011 more than 400 patients were examined and free medication was provided.
4. Scholarships Students of different Medical/Dental Colleges of our Province have been awarded scholarships on merit/poverty basis during the Year 2010-2011.
International Biennial Conference was arranged in Peshawar on 03.02.2011 with the help of Pakistan Medical Association Pakistan where Mr. Mir Jan Muhammad Khan
Jamali Hon’ble Deputy Chairman Senate of Pakistan was the Chief Guest. Hon’ble Minister for Health, Syed Zahir Ali Shah Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Senator Afraseyab Khattak, Ms. Sitara Ayaz, Minister for Social Welfare and Women development, Senator Haji Adeel and other dignitaries attended the conference.
In this conference, distinction holder students of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Medical Colleges were also awarded the crests.
5. Flood Relief/IDPs Activities Health Foundation had also arranged and is also planning to arrange medical camps for the IDPs on regular basis to help them out.
Huge donation of clothes for the flood affectees that is, one thousand new pairs arranged by Managing Director without financial implications on Health Foundation were distributed amongst flood victims. Lot of Medicines and other items for flood affected people were collected and distributed without any financial implications on Health Foundation.
Mr. Sardar Hussain Babak Hon’ble Minister for Elementary and Secondary Education, visited Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation where Relief goods were handed over to the Hon’ble Minister for further distribution amongst the flood affected people of the province.
During the Devastating Flood of Pakistan, Hon’ble Chief Minister has meeting with Angelina Julie Good will Ambassador, UNHCR.
Health Foundation played its due role in removing the miseries of affected people.
6. Camp Office
A camp office was inaugurated in Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad on 16.04.2011 which is functioning now.
7. Other Activities Health Foundation has also carried the following activities besides the above activities.
Similarly, one thousand mosquito nets were arranged through UNICEF for Dengue fever prevention and were subsequently distributed.
Managing Director Health Foundation arranged a meeting with TARADATA Pakistan to improve the Information system of the Health sector.
Managing Director Health Foundation Khyber Pakhtunkhwa recently contacted Managing Director Health Foundation Punjab Ms. Bushra Aman regarding their loaning procedure, so as to replicate the same in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation and work is in progress on that as well.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation also Donated Microscopes to Ayub Medical Institution on 24.09.2010 for the better provision of Health/laboratory facilities.
Managing Director, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation along with staff visited Frontier Foundation on 05.05.2011 where patients of Thellassaemia and other bleeding disorders and anemia were being examined and treated.
A stall for providing medical education to medical students was installed in the funfair arranged by Khyber Girls Medical College at Peshawar Club on 10.05.2011
Every year “World No Tobacco Day” is observed all over the world to highlight the health risks associated with Tobacco use and advocating for effective policies to reduce Tobacco consumption.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation also celebrates ‘World No Tobacco Day’on 13th June, 2011 in Khyber Medical Girls College in Peshawar. The main purpose of the exercise was raising public awareness about the hazards of smoking and its side effects. Presentation competition, banner competition & walk was organized within the campus to mark the event’s purpose and importance, besides displaying banners and distributing awareness literature and walk, the Managing Director of Health Foundation
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa delivered a lecturer to highlight the complications caused to smokers & effects of second hand smoke, their family members, especially to children.
Health Foundation is still making endeavors to help Basic Health Units functioning and also to absorb the work load which will be created after the approval of the 18th amendment and Abolishment of Federal Health Ministry after 30th June, 2011.
We will continue to work for the benefit of teeming millions of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on war footing.
House No 145 Street No.8, Shami Road Peshawar Cantt