Escaped prisoners advised to surrender

DI Khan jailbreak
Statesman Report
PESHAWAR: The Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has announced one-time exemption from arrest and prosecution for escapees (under-trial / convicts) of Central Prison, D.I.Khan, said an official statement issued here Tuesday.
The same shall be applicable to those prisoners only who voluntarily surrender to the local police of the nearest police station or the district administration. The incentive for voluntary surrender shall be valid for 15 days from issuance of this notification.

It was said those who do not surrender on expiry of the given period shall be arrested and tried, apart from their original offences, in case FIR No. 554, Dated 29th July, 2013 U/S 302 / 324 /353 /365 /427 /435/224A /120B /3 /4 / Exp /7ATA/186/148/149, Police Station, Cantt, District DI Khan, reports APP.
According to a report appearing on September 1, A committee investigating the jailbreak in Dera Ismail Khan has faulted the high command of police for the security lapse, a senior police official said.
The commissioner, deputy inspector general, district police officer, and superintendent jail should be held responsible for the security failure, the committee said in its report, recommending strict action against the officials.
The report will be forwarded to Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa chief minister, who would decide the fate of these officials, he said.
Acccording to the report, the high-ranking police official said that the intelligence agencies had warned of a plan to attack several days in advance.
However, the aforementioned officials failed to increase security of the central jail of DI Khan. As a result, militants were able to launch a surprise attack and free 48 inmates in the prison.
“They had advance warning from the intelligence agencies but these officers made no efforts to further strengthen the security of the prison building and most importantly secure the city, they failed to stop the attack and escape of militants,” he said.
The committee had sent its report to the chief minister and action was expected in the coming days against the officials responsible in light of this report.
Another official said that the militants had done their homework and they had studied the security arrangements of the jail carefully.
“They had full information of the security and placement of police force around the jail including barriers and armoured cars,” he argued, adding that was why the militants came fully equipped to neutralise these arrangements.
The attackers were armed with explosives, RPG-7 rockets and also suicide vests.
He said that despite the fact that the attackers were highly trained and motivated as well as armed to the teeth it was possible to halt their advance on the building if they had been informed and equipped accordingly.
“The top officials paid no heed to intelligence warnings and thought that the repeat of Bannu jail break was not possible by any means,” he said, adding that the strength of the attackers was underestimated and it proved to be a disaster.
“Strict action has been recommended against these officials in the report but it is up to the chief minister to make the final decision,” he added.

17.4 megawatt Gomal Zam Dam project starts power generation

PESHAWAR: Power generation has started from the Gomal Zam Dam, adding 17.4 megawatt electricity to the national grid.
Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif had issued directives in this regard to the Planning Commission at a meeting held recently when the chair was informed that the Gomal Zam Dam Project (GZDP) was complete and was waiting for a green signal from the government.
Formal inauguration of the project is expected by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in the next few days.
Saleem Khan, Project Director of GZDP, Wednesday told APP that 17.4 megawatt power had been added to the national grid that would lessen the electricity crisis to some extent.
He said that the hydro power station had been set up in the power house and its production cost was far less than the thermal power station.
The GZDP Project Director said that 55 kilometer transmission line from the power station passes through the mountainous terrain in South Waziristan Agency and Der Ismail Khan, which ultimately joins the national grid.
The power transmission lines from the project would also be provided to Wana that would resolve the issue of low voltage in the South Waziristan Agency and minimize power load on the national grid.
He said that 191,000 acres barren land of Tank district and Kulachi tehsil of D.I.Khan would be irrigated through the project.
According to a report by the Planning Commission, D.I. Khan and Tank are among the 25 poorest districts of the country. The agricultural land either remains 'barani' (rain-fed) or the farmers are dependent on indigenous irrigation system known as 'rod kohi' (hill torrent).
The commencement of the project will help store water for irrigation, mitigate floods, and provide the employment opportunities for youth and bolster the income of poor segments of society. - APP
 

 

NA-25 by-election

PTI beats JUI-F as women prevented from voting 

Statesman Report
DI KHAN: The PTI has served a major blow to JUI-F as its candidate Engr Dawar Khan Kundi defeated Maulana Asad Mehmood of JUI-F by a convincing margin in Wednesday’s by-poll at NA-25 Dera Ismail Khan. 
Till filing of this report, according to unofficial results, PTI candidate was leading with decisive 12,000 votes against JUI-F’s Asad Mehmood, son of JUI-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman.
The seat was vacated by Maulana Fazl, who emerged victorious from three other constituencies in the 2013 General Elections.  Fazl had won the seat by securing 77,595 votes (39% of the votes polled) when the turnout was 53.26%, according to the ECP. The by-election was originally scheduled to take place on August 22, 2013 but was postponed due to security issues in the region.
INP reports, according to FAFEN observers four incidents of women being barred from voting were reported at NA-25 by-election on Wednesday.
The voting process was largely peaceful amid heavy deployment of security personnel. However, female voters were disenfranchised in parts of the constituency where community elders had reportedly decided to bar women from voting.
FAFEN observers reported complete absence of women at one polling station. Another two polling stations had not received a single female vote till 12pm. 
One of the observers also reported the absence of female polling staff at a polling station till 10:30am. There were eight incidents where security officials barred FAFEN observers from entering polling stations, despite them having obtained accreditation cards from the ECP.
A total of 366,500 voters – 204,767 men and 161,783 women -- were registered for the by-election. The ECP set up 308 polling stations (77 male, 74 female and 157 combined) and deployed army personnel and FC troops in addition to police officials to maintain tight security at polling stations. 

By-polls in DI Khan set for Sep 18: ECP

Statesman Report
ISLAMABAD: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has fixed September 18 as new date for by-elections in NA-25 Dera Ismail Khan in the troubled Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
ECP on Monday notified new date for poll.
Earlier, by-polls in the area had been deferred past the August 22 date due to security reasons.
By-elections had been held in as many as 41 other national and provincial assembly constituencies on August 22 owing to either successful candidates vacating their seats in favour of other seats won, or where polls had to be deferred for the May 11 elections or the candidate, either contesting or successful had passed away.
However, polls in NA-25 were postponed following intelligence reports that terrorists could carry out attacks.
D I Khan borders North Waziristan, which is considered to be a bastion of many outlawed militant outfits.
NA-25 had been vacated by JUI-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman who had won from three constituencies in the May 11 general elections.  

DI Khan jailbreak report submitted by probe committee

PESHAWAR/ FP: The three member committee formed to probe the Dera Imail Khan jailbreak has completed its investigation and submitted the report to the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government.

The report states that the DS, DPO, Elite Force and jail officials failed in performing their duties. The attack was aimed at freeing 14 prisoners, while the rest of the prisoners were set free to occupy the administration.

The report adds that the jailbreak was planned by experienced individuals who were not locals.

The committee was formed by Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister, Pervez Khattak and comprised of Senior Member Board of Revenue Member Waqar Ayub, Special Secretary Home Department Syed Alamgir Shah and Additional Inspector General Police Akhtar Ali Shah.

During its probe, the committee recorded statements of over 100 people including those of the KP chief minister, chief secretary and IG Police.

On July 30 in one of the biggest jailbreaks in the history of Pakistan, militants helped 243 prisoners escape for the Dera Ismail Khan prison after killing 12 people including six policemen. During the jailbreak five militants were also killed by security forces.

In April 2012, around 300 prisoners had escaped during a similar jailbreak in Bannu.

(Local TV)

 

Get a better hosting deal with a hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2011 D. I. Khan News.
Joomla Templates by Wordpress themes free